|Mishti Doi - The
Traditional sweet dish of Bengal
(Recipe By Rajesh Gupta, Published In Savvy Cook
Book issue dated Sept-Oct 1998)
Quantity: 1.5 kgs
- Milk 2.250ltrs (Buffalo Milk with full fat is req.)
- sugar 500 gm
- Yogurt (Dahi) 25gms
- Earthen pot (handi) Small container of 1.5 kg. capacity Or
- Add 300gms of sugar to the milk and put to boil on Medium
heat for at least 45mins and beat the milk constantly while boiling.
- See that the milk is reduced to almost 40 % and becomes
thick and light brown in color.
- Place the remaining 200gms of sugar in heavy bottom vessel
with 50ml of water and melt on low heat Allow the sugar mixture to turn dark brown in
- Gradually add this sugar mixture to the boiled milk and boil
again for 15 minutes.
- Take it off the flame and beat constantly with a jar till
the mixture becomes Luke warm.
- Transfer the mixture into the Earthen Pot.
- Mix the Yogurt into the mixture after 5 min.
- Cover and allow to set for 8 to 12 hours at a warm place, do
not open or move the pot during this period.
- Uncover and Store in a refrigerator, Serve Chilled.